This week on Down the Garden Path, landscape designers Matthew Dressing and Joanne Shaw take a look at new and unusual annuals in the garden and the best way to care for them.
Joanne and Matt discuss new and unusual annuals and how to care for them.
Some of the topics include:
- What’s the difference between annuals and perennials?
- How do we take care of our annuals in the garden?
- Conditions that need consideration: light, soil, watering, fertilizing
- What’s happening in the garden centres with the availability of annual plants.
- What are some of the new annuals for 2021?
Listener questions and feedback:
- What are some annuals that spread?
- Why has the price of annuals increased this year?
- What are the best hardy annuals?
- Listeners weighed in about whether they put their annuals in pots or the ground.
- Do you have any recommendations for soil additives for annuals?
Matt and Joanne also discuss the importance of water for annuals and how simply putting the right annual in the right spot can lead to greater success.
About Your Hosts
As the owner of Down2Earth Landscape Design, Joanne Shaw has been designing beautiful gardens for homeowners east of Toronto for over a decade.
And Matthew Dressing is a horticulturist and landscape designer. He owns Natural Affinity Garden Design, a landscape design and garden maintenance firm servicing Toronto and the Eastern GTA. Together, Joanne and Matthew do their best to bring you interesting, relevant and helpful topics. Their goal is to help you keep your garden as low maintenance as possible.
Thanks for listening! Don’t forget to check out Down the Garden Path on your favourite podcast app and subscribe!