Winter can be a gloomy bleak time of year, but that doesn’t mean it has to be that way in the garden. In the season nine premiere of Down the Garden Path podcast, landscape designers Joanne Shaw and Matthew Dressing discuss how to create winter interest in your garden and landscape.
Discover how to create winter interest in your garden and landscape.
Here are some of the questions and topics Joanne and Matt cover in this episode:
- Thanks to all the listeners who wrote in over the break.
- Changes to the show format: addition of the Stepping Stone segment
- Join Matt and Joanne on social media!
- How do they define winter interest?
- How can you create winter interest in the garden?
- Are plants the only way?
- Preparing your garden for winter – the loss of winter interest.
- Design considerations
- Joanne and Matt’s plant recommendations for adding winter interest.
Resources mentioned during the show
Down the Garden Path Podcast
As the owner of Down2Earth Landscape Design, Joanne Shaw has been designing beautiful gardens for homeowners east of Toronto for 17 years. A horticulturist, college educator and landscape designer, Matthew Dressing owns Natural Affinity Garden Design, a landscape design and garden maintenance firm servicing Toronto and the Eastern GTA. Together, they do their best to bring you interesting, relevant and useful topics to help you keep your garden as low maintenance as possible.
In their new book, Down the Garden Path: A Step-By-Step Guide to Your Ontario Garden, Joanne and Matthew distill their horticultural and design expertise and their combined experiences in helping others create and maintain thriving gardens into one easy-to-read monthly reference guide. You can find it on Amazon.
Don’t forget to check out Down the Garden Path on your favourite podcast app and subscribe!